Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Weekly Inspiration: Downton Abbey

I'm skipping my usual Writing Wednesday and bringing you a Weekly Inspiration instead, since Friday is Flag Day and I've just been dying to share my love affair with Downton Abbey.

I'd heard people mention the show a few times over the past month or two, but the name of the show doesn't exactly spark interest right away. Then John watched half of the first episode on his flight back from Italy and insisted we watch the whole first season on Netflix. I was a little surprised that my normally period-piece-hating husband wanted to watch a British series set in the early 1900s, but I certainly wasn't going to argue. There's just something wonderful about a bunch of snobby Brits living in a ginormous house along with a colorful cast of servants, ranging from the endearingly stupid Daisy, to the so-far irredeemably wicked O'Brien (she seems to be softening a bit in Season 2...).

Episode 3 was the one that really sucked me in. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, but suddenly this slow-in-a-Jane-Austen-kind-of-way show was rife with scandal beyond anything I could have anticipated. Plus there are an awful lot of hot guys running around Downton Abbey. Not that it's a reason to watch the show. I'm just sayin'...

Dan Stevens as Matthew Crawley. Love me a man in uniform!
And of course I'm a sucker for a beautiful English castle.

The manor house at Downton Abbey (Highclere Castle in Hampshire)

The women's clothing is also amazing. Hell, even if this show didn't have dialogue (and I'm glad it does - rather witty dialogue, at that), it's just fun to look at!

Ladies Edith, Sybil, and Mary


Jessica Brown-Findlay as Lady Sybil
Downton Abbey is also inspiring to me as a writer. There are so many great characters, and the show does a wonderful job of giving us little glimpses into their lives so that even the downstairs help come off as more than mere caricatures.

This weekend John went to the Apple store and bought us an attachment so we can download Season 2 episodes on his iPhone and watch them on our TV. That's how much we love Downton Abbey - share your love in the comments!

6 comments:

Jennie Bennett said...

Love, swoon, adore, I feel all of those things and more for Downton Abbey. Seriously one of the best shows, ever. LOVE it!

Beyza said...

I'm so sad that this Sunday's episode is the end of season 2 - the seasons are too short! But at least Game of Thrones is starting back up again soon (nerd alert!)

Mara Rae said...

Yay! Thanks for joining in my love fest :)

Mara Rae said...

Ummm...part of the reason I was so thrilled John found this show is because I'm having Game of Thrones withdrawals and I needed something to pass the time in between. How are we going to make it to April???

i'm erin. said...

AGh! I LOOOOOVE you. I'm so obsessed with this show. I started watching it a week ago and I watched all of the first season up to the current second season episode in less than 48 hours. I'm a huge sucker for the castle and the clothing.

Mara Rae said...

Ooooh - a Downton Abbey marathon! Nice! We're parceling it out bit by bit to make it last. All I know is, wherever I find out I'm moving to today, I better get freaking Internet so I can keep watching!