Monday, March 11, 2013

Mommy Mondays: I Get By With a Little Help From My Friends

Today's post will be brief because, hallelujah, I have visitors! Not just this week but last week too. I can't even tell you how much more fun it is to be here with people I love around (Jack and John are pretty awesome, but variety is, as they say, the spice of life).

Last week, my good friend Erin came as a guest of the Consulate to speak about law with Russian law school students. She was super busy with presentations, but we had enough time to grab a few meals, catch up over coffee, shop (of course), and visit some of the sights. The highlight was the brief and freezing stop at the Europe/Asia border. Particularly when the exhausted, slightly bedraggled Erin asked, "So what European country are we in?"

It's Russia, Erin. It's aaaalllll Russia.
And then, glory of glories, my sister Sarah and best friend Kim arrived on Saturday night. We spent yesterday prepping for Sarah's presentations today and tomorrow (Sarah is also a guest of the Consulate, speaking about her work at National Geographic - yes, I'm friends with and related to some very cool people). Today Sarah presented her little ass off, rather successfully I might add, and Kim and I came along for moral support. It's more of the same tomorrow and Wednesday, and then we have a few free days in Yekat before we head to Moscow, where I'll have a week with Sarah and Kim before they go back to the States.

When in Russia...wear skinny jeans, a beanie, a scarf, and a coat with a fur-trimmed hood.

Did I mention how happy I am to see these beautiful, smiling faces for the next two weeks? So very, very happy.

Jack's pretty happy about Sha Sha and Auntie Kimmy, too.

I realize Yekaterinburg, Russia, may not be high on your must-see places list, but in addition to seeing where the Romanovs were murdered, just think about how happy YOU can make me by visiting here! (Seriously, think about it. We have a guest room and everything.)

1 comment:

Jessie Humphries said...

I might be in the neighborhood one of these days ;)