Thursday, June 13, 2013

Things I Love Thursdays: High Tea, Jane Austen, and Writing!

'They arrived in Bath. Catherine was all eager delight; - her eyes were here, there, everywhere, as they approached its fine and striking environs, and afterwards drove through those streets which conducted them to the hotel. She was come to be happy, and she felt happy already'
--Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey

Sorry for the blogging absence. We were in Geneva last week for John's 100k training race for the big 100 miler in just a couple weeks. What's new, you ask? Well, aside from deciding that Geneva is one of the most beautiful cities I've ever seen (and the most expensive), I just booked a one-week trip to England for July! Because clearly I haven't traveled enough in 2013.

Here's the deal: While I was struggling to find time to write, I realized that if I really wanted to be effective, I needed a solid chunk of time to devote to writing, which I just can't get at home. I considered organized retreats in Europe, but many were sold out or too expensive or the timing wasn't right. I wanted to go somewhere near(ish) but where I could speak the language, because being unable to communicate is exhausting sometimes. John was just in London and had been raving about it, and then it turned out that by sheer coincidence, one of my best friends was going to be in London and Bath for a week for work right around the time I was looking to do my retreat. Since she's working, I won't be distracted during the day, but we'll be able to hang out in the evenings. AND I get a free place to stay. You really can't beat that.


The London Landmark Hotel, where we get to stay! Wheee!
 I'm super excited about this trip because a) I'm flying solo b) I'm going to be hanging out with Kim, who is amazing and fun and hilarious c) I haven't been since grad school and I can't wait to go back to familiar places and see something new d) I'll be writing!! Oh, and did I mention it's also the 200 year anniversary of Pride and Prejudice? Lots of fun stuff to do in Bath (although sadly we are missing the Netherfield Ball by a few weeks).

I am hoping to get the rough draft finished before I go so I can whip that baby into shape while I'm gone. That means a lot of hard work over the next three weeks, but with about 25,000 words to go, I think it's doable (especially since John will be gone for his race in Cali for thirteen days and I won't have anything else to do. Well, aside from the whole job/kid thing.).

Have any of you done a writer's retreat? Any tips for success? Anywhere I absolutely MUST go in London?

No comments: