Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Things I Love Thursdays: Orange is the New Black

I know, I know, two TV shows in a row. You probably wonder what the heck else I do besides watch television. But Orange is the New Black is not something I'm ashamed to admit I love. This Netflix exclusive is freaking brilliant, even if I totally didn't believe John when he first told me about it.

Here's the premise via Wikipedia:

Orange Is the New Black revolves around Piper Chapman (Taylor Schilling), a woman from Connecticut, living in New York City, who is sent to the women's federal prison in Litchfield, NY, for 15 months after being convicted of transporting a suitcase full of drug money for Alex Vause (Laura Prepon), an international drug smuggler and Chapman's former lover.

I didn't love Schilling in The Lucky One. I thought she was kind of annoying, actually. But I have to eat my words about her now, because she does an amazing job as Piper. You can't help rooting for her character, even when she does some pretty stupid things. And while the other inmates see her as a rich, snobby white chick, I feel like a lot of people will identify with her character (minus the whole drug mule thing).

Piper's relationship with her fiance, played by Jason Biggs, and Alex, her ex-girlfriend, are interesting, but the best part of the show, hands down, is the other inmates. There are some amazing performances in there, characters who will make you laugh and cry. I love Red, the Russian cook, and Crazy Eyes, a somewhat insane but sympathetic character who wants to make Piper her wife when she first gets to prison.

See if you can spot "Red" and "Crazy Eyes."

The best performance, however, is probably Taryn Manning as Tiffany "Pennsatucky" Doggett, a former meth addict who murders a nurse at an abortion clinic after the nurse makes a snide comment. A Christian lawyer ends up taking on her case, and Tiffany becomes a born-again Christian who leads the other meth heads in prison. She is a truly despicable character, and I love her.

The show aired in July and the beauty of it is, the entire show is available at once. Sadly, we finished all 13 episodes, but I'm excited for Season Two. If you have Netflix (or a nice friend who does), it's definitely worth checking out.

No comments: