Thursday, March 13, 2014

Things I Love Thursdays: Spoonflower

The other day I came across some super-cute fabric for a baby or kid's room (thanks Lauren!) only to find I couldn't come close to affording it. We're talking several hundred dollars for a duvet. The fabric was adorable, but seriously? I'm not spending more on my infant's bedding than my own. Curious to see what it would require to create my own fabric, I came across Spoonflower, which is a website where you can not only design your own fabric, wallpaper, wrapping paper, or wall decal, but also choose from hundreds of cute designs from people who actually know what they're doing.

I spent the better part of my morning perusing the site and came across dozens of designs I loved, but ended up ordering just a few swatches (it's $5 for an 8"x8" piece, which is all I need for my purposes). A couple of my favorites that I ordered:

Animals on bikes! Love!

Boy with kites! Also love!

The colors in both of these fabrics are right up my alley.  I consider them gender neutral (I suppose some people might not like the pink, but to each their own I say!) and plan on framing the swatches as wall art.

And this llama print reminds me of Peru (where we're heading next) and is also the exact colors I used in the baby's mobile and of the blanket I ordered him:


It's called llama-rama! How cute is that?

Not sure what I'll do with it yet - maybe make a little llama-shaped pillow? I have some felt leftover from the mobile that I could use on the back, so we'll see...

If you're looking for ideas, I highly recommend the site. There are so many talented designers on there! And I love the idea of designing my own wall decals. Such a great idea for people who move frequently (a la me). Enjoy!

No comments: