Thursday, July 26, 2012

Things I Love Thursdays: "North and South"

Thanks to the summer lull in television, I've had to do some major Netflix scouring to find something to watch while I work out. As you may have realized by now, I have a thing for period dramas, so since "Downton Abby" ended, I've been watching (and rewatching) some of my favorites - "Pride and Prejudice," "Emma," "Jane Eyre," "Lost in Austen," etc. When Netflix recommended "North and South" to me, I was skeptical, but I was also desperate. So I started the four-part 2004 BBC miniseries hopeful but ready to continue scouring. All I can say is, god bless Richard Armitage.

"North and South" is based on the 1855 Elizabeth Gaskell novel (which I had never heard of). It's the story of a young lady, Margaret Hale, who moves from the south of England with her family to the (fake) industrial city of Milton. There she meets John Thornton, who runs a large cotton mill and is known to be a tough but fair boss, at least compared to the other bosses. There is some major Pride and Prejudice stuff going on here - which I looooove. You know, she thinks he's a jerk, his family thinks he's too good for her, lots of lingering fingertips and angsty glances. I am a major sucker for this stuff. Of course, none of it would matter if the hero weren't such a hotty. Ladies and...well, ladies, I give you Richard Armitage as John Thornton.

Photo from author Merry Farmer's website.

(And here he is in one of the best on-screen kisses I've seen in a while).

Photo from the Russian fan site; looks like I'll fit in just fine there.

So now you know, this Things I Love Thursday is really just a thinly veiled excuse to ogle Mr. Armitage. I'm off to work out and watch the BBC version of Robin Hood on Netflix. I *swear* it's pure coincidence that Richard happens to be in it.

And happy, happy birthday to my dear friend Kim! I hope it's a great one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to check this movie out. All the others you listed I adore. But no Netflixs, so *rushes off to see where she can find it*

Mara Rae said...

You can buy it on Amazon, which I'm seriously considering so I'll always have Richard - I mean North and South - on hand ;)

Anonymous said...

I've watched North and South twice, and I commend your taste in eye candy ;)