Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Writing Wednesdays: A Room of One's Own

"A woman must have money and a room of her own if she is to write fiction.” 
 ― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own 

I am extremely lucky to have the former (enough, anyway), but I've never really had a room of my own to write fiction. I had a desk in a basement before moving to Russia, and that was good enough for me. But since we've moved, I haven't had anywhere to escape to write. I had visions of finding a cozy little cafe to write in a couple of times a week, but I never found what I was looking for, and the computer in our bedroom just isn't conducive to working (especially when I have a small boy running in and out every five minutes).

But a couple of weeks ago, my friend introduced me to an adorable cafe near my house that serves wine, chocolate, tea, and coffee (a pretty fabulous combo, I think you'll agree), and on Monday I had a chance to go there and write for a few hours. It was so quiet and pleasant, with delicious tea for a couple of dollars, and the waiter speaks English, bless his heart. So I made a decision that, until this novel is finished, I'm going to try to go there a couple of days a week to write. Between 5,000 words Monday and 1,500 today (not bad for an hour), I think this little escape will be just what I need. 

Not exactly a room of my own, but not too shabby. And hey, this one even comes with chocolate.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

You may also need a small dog at your feet, no? Glad you found this place! Love you.

Leigh Covington said...

Sounds like the best kind of room to have! Especially if it comes with chocolate! I don't really have a room of my own to write either. Kind of the office, but it's not my favorite writing spot. :)