Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Writing Wednesdays: Getting Inspired

Hi all! Today's post is gonna be quick since I'm about to head off on my first official business trip (since 2008 anyway - in another life I set up Costco author signings around the country...)!

For the past week and a half or so, I've been promising myself I would start working on the new WIP. It's been over a year since I wrote Friday, and although I've started a couple of projects since then (even got about 70 pages into one of them), I haven't really written very much throughout the querying slog. And I miss it! The trouble is, now that I'm back at work and I have a nanny and technically have the time to write, I've been having a hard time getting my butt into the chair to start working. Part of the problem is my desktop computer isn't set up, and once it is I'll be forced to sit at the desk where I have fewer distractions. I am a creature of habit - I like my routines. I just need to find my new Russia routine and I'll be set.

Still, even with a routine in place, it can be hard to get inspired enough to fully commit to a WIP. Thank goodness I started Leigh Bardugo's Shadow and Bone a few days ago.


Serious cover envy going on right here.

I've only read about 25 pages or so, but I'm so excited to sit on an airplane with my Kindle (without Jack) and really dig in. She's created an amazing Russia-based fantasy world that I'm frankly jealous I didn't create myself. And since my WIP is set in Russia, I'm finding the whole thing to be just the inspiration I need to get my butt back into that chair and WRITE.

What about you? What inspires you to really commit to a new project?

3 comments:

Emily R. King said...

I read Shadow and Bone in one day. ONE DAY. You're going to love the rest. Enjoy your quiet reading time on the plane!

Paul Tobin said...

I agree with you it can be difficult to start. I empathise there is a guilty pleasure when you have children and you get to spend sometime away where there is the opportunity to read. The book sounds interesting.

Caryn Caldwell said...

Good luck with your writing! I totally understand you wanting your desktop just so you'll be forced to sit in one spot and focus. And your comment about cover envy cracked me up. It IS a great cover, isn't it?

Happy reading AND writing!