Monday, May 28, 2012

Mommy Mondays: Memorial Day

This weekend has been extra special for me, because my husband (who most of you probably know was a Marine up until a few months ago) decided to forgo a training weekend in California to spend time with Jack and me. It seems particularly poignant that it's Memorial Day weekend. John and I were very lucky that he served for ten years and stayed safe (ejection not withstanding), but I am so grateful to those servicemen and women who made the ultimate sacrifice. I found the following quote particularly poignant and moving.

These heroes are dead.  They died for liberty - they died for us.  They are at rest.  They sleep in the land they made free, under the flag they rendered stainless, under the solemn pines, the sad hemlocks, the tearful willows, and the embracing vines.  They sleep beneath the shadows of the clouds, careless alike of sunshine or of storm, each in the windowless Place of Rest.  Earth may run red with other wars - they are at peace.  In the midst of battle, in the roar of conflict, they found the serenity of death.  I have one sentiment for soldiers living and dead:  cheers for the living; tears for the dead.  ~Robert G. Ingersoll

I hope all of our military friends have a wonderful, well-deserved weekend with their families.

2 comments:

Leslie said...

Wonderful post! I'm from a military family (raised in the AF, brother in the Army, bro-in-law in the AF now) and I'm so grateful for all those that have served and continue to serve to protect our freedom and our country.

Emily R. King said...

I hope you had a great long weekend with your family. It's wonderful that your husband was able to be with you!