Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Writing Wednesdays: Remembering Wild Things

Maurice Sendak passed away yesterday at the age of 83. There are dozens of tributes to him popping up online, but I wanted to take a moment to remember him as well. Where the Wild Things Are is one of my favorite children's books, one that I came to appreciate more as an adult than as a child. I still have my childhood copy, and it now sits on Jack's book shelf. When I was pregnant with Jack, the image of a little boy in a wolf suit was one of the things that made me truly excited for a son.

I know I won't be able to do Mr. Sendak any justice by trying to explain what makes Where the Wild Things Are so special, but I think this quote - one of my all-time favorites - says it all.


"Please don't go. We'll eat you up. We love you so."




2 comments:

Jenny S. Morris said...

I was sad when I heard, and remember he really did make me love monsters before anyone else. I told my son we have to watch the movie this weekend in his honor.

Mara Rae said...

I LOVE the movie! The little boy in it is too cute. I can't wait to watch it with Jack. :)