Thursday, April 12, 2012

Things I Love Thursdays: New Projects

The reason this post is late today is because I've been writing for the past couple of hours. That's right, I'm working on the new book, and it feels great! It's a little tricky, seeing as it's set in Saint Petersburg and I've never actually been to Russia, but who wouldn't be inspired by this:


Or this:


My main character, Akira, is half-Russian, half-Japanese, and shaping up to be a total badass. As of right now she does kenjutsu (Japanese sword-fighting) and ballet, and she looks kinda like this.

Her enemy is Koschei the Deathless, reimagined by me as a soul-eating demon who takes over the body of his last victim. The giveaway? His rows of needle-sharp teeth, even when he's in the body of a small child. That, and the horrible sound he makes before he eats his victims' souls. Thanks to a crap deal her grandfather made as a young man, Akira's soul is on the line, and she's not the kind of girl to wait for a hero to rescue it.

Now, might all this change in the course of the next year or so? Probably. Will I potentially give up this project for another somewhere along the way? Maybe. But it's got me writing, and that's never a bad thing.

Plus, I'm learning a little Russian along the way.

No comments: