Friday, October 31, 2014

Pitch Wars Blog Hop: Why I Wrote My Pitch Wars Novel

Some of my fellow Pitch Wars mentees are participating in a blog hop about why we wrote our Pitch Wars novels. Here's my story!

As some of you may remember, I got the idea for Needle's Eye, which is now called WINTERSOUL, before we moved to Russia in 2012. I was freaking out about the move, a lot, and I decided that maybe I'd be a little less freaked out if I learned some cool things about Russian culture. Naturally I started looking into Russian folklore and fairytales, and when I came across the story of Kaschey the Deathless, I was fascinated. I'd never heard it before, but I thought Kaschey would make an excellent villain.

The protagonist, Akira, popped into my head out of nowhere. I'm still not sure why I decided she should be half Japanese-American and half Russian, or why she'd be into kenjutsu. Some characters just write themselves I guess. But I put the novel aside for quite a while after we moved to Russia, when I realized I didn't really know it well enough to do the setting justice. I didn't finish Wintersoul until March (Baby Will's impending arrival made for an excellent deadline), and I've been revising on and off since then. I guess the bottom line is, I wrote this novel to make the mental transition to living on the edge of Siberia a little easier. And it actually worked.

My dream now is to write a novel inspired by every country we live in. So I'm super excited to research Peruvian folklore and culture when we get there and come up with a really cool twist. I have learned my lesson, however: I won't be starting the next book until I've lived in Peru for a little while. At least incorporating Spanish into a novel will be a lot easier than Russian!

Head to some of my fellow Pitch Wars mentees' blogs to find out why they wrote their Pitch Wars novels:

Tracie Martin: WILD IS THE WIND





13 comments:

Rosalyn said...

I love this idea. And how cool that you get to live in so many different places? My story draws some inspiration from Hungarian folklore.

C M Franklin said...

I'd be terrified to move across the world to Russia. I visited Eastern Europe 11 years ago and two weeks seemed like a long time to spend in a country where English wasn't widely used. That you moved and wrote a novel too is way impressive.

Kip Wilson said...

I seriously can't wait to read this. I've been fascinated since I first heard of your story, and wish you the best of luck in PitchWars!!

Claire said...

That's a great idea! Good luck for Peru, that should certainly give you great story ideas :)

Susan J. Bickford said...

I adore your dream of writing a story in all the countries you will live in! What an adventure! Good luck with your story in the agent round.

Jennifer Hawkins said...

The unique multi-cultural MC alone makes me want to read this. Good luck to you!

Lyra Selene said...

This sounds so cool! I am absolutely inspired by all the different places I've lived and visited, and I love the idea of writing a book for everywhere you go! Good luck on Pitch Wars!

Kristin Reynolds said...

Wow, you lucky thing. Living everywhere is my dream. And one of my MC's is from Russia. :) I have learned many Russian swears. Haha. Your book sounds fascinating!

Heather Truett said...

Brilliant. I want to travel and write novels in places. It's a dream I entertain from time to time. One day...

This sounds beautiful.

I have a friend from Peru. Her family raised guinea pigs for meat.

Robin Lemke said...

Oh, I love reading about Russia! I'm so intrigued and hope I get the chance to read this!

Janet Walden-West said...

I've loved Russian folklore since I found a Baba Yaga story, somewhere around third grade. Good luck!

Natalie Williamson said...

What a great origin story! Good luck tomorrow!

Tracie said...

Oooo...books written from every country you live in? How fabulous! My books has slavic folklore elements in it: it's a fertile land for the imagination out there. Good luck!!